- A breastfeed lasts an average of 16 minutes.
- Almost three-quarters of moms produce more milk with their right breast(no correlation to being right -or left-handed).
- Babies will take more milk from the first... breast offered.
- The average time it takes for a mom's milk to let-down, or start flowing, during a breastfeed is 56 seconds(but this can vary widely - so don't get stressed if you take longer)
- About a third of moms can't sense let-down. Your baby knowss... watch them change their sucking pattern.
- Babies breastfeed until they're full, not until they "empty" your breast. On average, babies remove 67% of the milk you have available - this amount can vary widely among moms.
- Whether breastfeeding or pumping, the amount of milk removed and its fat content are similar.
- Your milk sprays out of many holes, not just one.
- Babies instinctively know how to get your milk quickly and effeciently: they start breastfeeding with faster suck for stimulation until you let-down. Then when your milk is flowing, they switch to a slower, deeper suck and eat until they're full.
- It's common for babies to have resting periods during breastfeeding - sometimes they "take breaks" in between sucks.
- Your baby controls your breastmilk flow with an instinctive action that includes sucking, swallowing and breathing - your milk flows during actual sucking part, when your baby moves his/her tongue a certain way.
- 90% of breastfeeding moms use a breastpump.
- No matter your size, you'll make enough milk for your baby - A cups, rejoice!
- Breastfeeding mothers tend to lose more weight than mothers who do not breastfeed.
- When your child is grown, you'll fondly remember the warm, unique bond you shared while breastfeeding - guaranteed
"All in all, a new mom's body is pretty amazing. You build this little life inside you, developing it from a tiny bunch of cells into a fully formed baby. Then you give birth to that fully formed baby(and it's worth it!)
Then, that amazing body of yours knows just how to make the perfect food - breastmilk - for nurturing the new love in your life"
Sharing is Caring!